I've finally experienced it. I'm realizing that what we feel called to is completely foreign to the subculture that I come from. It is somewhat painful for me to see that the people who raised me and influenced me the most really have no understanding of what we feel called to. In some ways the world view of that subculture is so narrow that they cannot see beyond their own experiences. I guess I would be the same way had I not experienced other cultures and world views.
I think we have to understand other cultures and world views in order to share Christ with them. How do we share Jesus if we do not understand where they come from. In my experiences of other world views, I have seen some of the flaws of my own world view. I guess this is where I have changed, and am now seeing conflict.
I have heard a lot of generalizations and stereotypes lately related to race and religion, specifically, Muslims, Mexicans and Democrats. I guarantee that the people making these statements will never see the movie "Crash." What would Jesus think about these statements? Would he have confronted them and embarrassed them for their judgment? Would he have stayed quiet and prayed that they would see all people as his children? I want to act as Jesus would, but I also want to be respectful--and avoid conflict! This may be a hard road ahead.
Monday, March 27, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment