Wednesday, April 23, 2008

friends and windows

I feel so blessed to have great friendships in my life right now. As you can tell from earlier posts, these friendships are fairly new. So, I feel that I must capture in print the sweet gift that my new friends gave me last weekend.

So, last Friday, I sent Robert and Adam to the burbs while I had a slumber party for my girlfriends. It was the first one ever, so I wasn't sure how many friends would come. 8 had RSVP'd. But little by little, things came up, husbands couldn't watch the kids, people got sick... So, I was a bit discouraged, but still hopeful that we would enjoy a movie night. Robert had brought home the big screen from church and set up the projector. So we were prepared to watch Mr. Darcy and Ms. Elizabeth Bennett on an eight foot screen!

After a few friends arrived, we started the movie. I was the only veteran Pride and Prejudice fan, so I had a lot of explaining to do in the first few hours. During one conversation, we were talking about the architecture of the houses and how beautiful they were. I mentioned that I had saved my old windows from my 90 year old kitchen when we had the windows replaced. I asked them if they had any ideas of how to decorate the old windows to use as artwork in my house. One friend asked me to pause the movie (and I thought she had to use the restroom)...she came back holding two of my old windows that all of my friends had decorated together!! For my birthday, a few of them (with the help of my husband) had remembered that I wanted to complete that project, so they collaborated and gave it to me as a birthday gift.

I was so surprised, and felt so loved by such great friends.

Thanks friends! It means more to me than you will ever know.



1 comment:

Mary DeMuth said...

Thanks for your recent comment on my blog about Rest and Authentic Parenting. I'm really thankful you'll be using the book at your church! Let me know how I can benefit your study group.