Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Job Quest

Tonight I attended an informational meeting for prospective arts teachers for Memphis City Schools. I felt good about going mainly because I wanted to meet the Orff supervisor. I was shocked to see nearly 200 people there. I sat through the meeting, which was mainly about things I've already done: application, interview, credential, etc... I finally had the chance to meet this woman. We talked for a few minutes about Orff then I as I was filling out a form for her, I asked if she knew of any part-time openings for the fall. She said that they rarely have part-time positions, and when they do, they are taken by current MCS teachers.

I should have prepared for this more, but it really shocked me. I want to teach in this district so much. I feel like I've been sucker-punched.

Again...how big is my plate? I just can't see myself working full time right now. I don't think my plate is that big. This isn't as bad as it may sound, considering I have an interview in 12 hours for a part-time Orff job at a Jewish pre-school. I haven't been too excited about this job because I really wanted to teach in the city schools. But--maybe something's there that I can't see.

One positive is that Adam may be able to attend while I'm teaching. A negative - I imagine that the pay would be drastically less than what MCS would pay. I may be wrong though.

So--again--Lord, show me what to do...Help me discern your will. I want my profession to compliment our ministry as church planters. I thought I knew best, but I'm back to giving you control...

No comments: