Tuesday, May 09, 2006

e-race

I've been attending a discussion group called "e-race" that is sponsored by a Memphis church that I've admired for their efforts in racial reconciliation. It's been a struggle for me, which I'm grateful for. I want the Lord to teach me things about race through this. So far, I've been challenged by the stories and stereotypes that have been shared. I think I'm realizing how differently our lenses are. The way I view things is very different from how others may view the same things. I think I'm also learning that the only way to resolve racial conflict and prejudice is through unconditional love. I want to study this more. But it makes sense to me on the surface. If we truly love one another as Christ loved us, we wouldn't see color. I'm seeing more and more how this issue is so major here in Memphis. I am so ashamed of the attitudes and thoughts I've heard about coming from so-called believers. If we really want to impact this city as a church, we've got to get this thing right. We've got to love one another as Christ loved us. And this has to be a continual prayer for all of us. I'm reminded of Heather and Bill Petree's wedding vows. Something to the effect that when our human love runs out, God has to fill us with His unconditional love for one another. My heart breaks for this. I'm ready to see the Church worship together in unity. I don't think that has happened much in the South.

To change the subject, I found out this weekend that I've been accepted to Univ. of Memphis for my Master's and I've been accepted into the teacher pool with Memphis City Schools!! I also have gotten a lead on a job teaching music part-time this fall at a Jewish preschool. As sad as I was during my last post, these are the things that remind me I'm in a great place here in Memphis!

1 comment:

Jason Elder said...

Yippie for University of Memphis! Congrats. I know that's a relief. Are you starting this summer or fall?

Barb sent her resume to the Memphis City Schools last week. Pray. Pray. Pray.

The racism thing--I'm looking forward to hearing more about that. I feel the same way about the Church worshipping in unity. I've seen some pretty horid things myself and have heard things equally as bad. We've got to do better.

So glad that your days are getting better. You seemed really encouraged on this post!