Thursday, February 09, 2006

Memphis

We've been in Memphis for a full week now. Our little townhouse is finally unpacked and organized. I really like it. I can get used to the walk-in closets and the two bathrooms. Not quite used to the 24 degree weather though. I have to bundle little Adam up like the abominable snowman everytime we leave the house.

I feel like I'm catching my breath. It has been a whirlwind--more like a tornado--the last two months. I feel like a mom again. I'm no longer the moving coordinator. Adam and I have had some really sweet times together. He is beginning to like reading books together. He is finally sleeping through the night, which may also contribute to my feeling human again. Robert is finally able to have some time to research jobs and get things going with project mustard seed. He is so good at this phase of the project. I'm amazed at his ability to network and make connections.

I met a neighbor yesterday. Her name is Heather. We mistakenly forwarded all of our mail to her address instead of ours. So we have had to get our mail from her several times. She and her boyfriend live across the parking lot from us. Adam and I may get a yearly pass to the Memphis Zoo. It is less than a mile from our house. I think it will be a great place to go walking, and Adam will love seeing the animals. I wish I knew some other moms who would like to do this with me. Annie and Peter (our Marina walking partners in San Leandro) would love it! I've found a few Memphis mom's websites, but it seems that most moms I've seen live in the suburbs. At the coffee shop the other day I did meet a lesbian couple who have two grade school children. They gave me recommendations on the best parks and schools in the area. I also saw a young mom with a baby girl who looked to be about Adam's age, but I didn't have the nerve to talk to her. I'm working on that. It's hard for me to initiate conversation with people I don't know.

Adam just woke up from his morning nap, so I'm trying to type one-handed. Must go for now.

No comments: