Saturday, April 01, 2006

My neighborhood

I really love my neighborhood. Today, we went to several yard sales in Midtown. It was so beautiful. We met a man, named Warren, who goes to Fellowship Memphis. When he found out we were church planters, he gave us a trash can that we were eyeing at his yard sale. He is about to move "out east" with his wife and three year old. He's lived in his house in Midtown since 1981. He seemed really reluctant to be moving, but his wife wanted to move.

After going to the yard sale, we walked around Cooper-Young for a while. It was a gorgeous day, so a lot of people were out working in their yards. I saw many young couples with a baby stroller (and a baby). I can't wait to live there and get to know my neighbors and for Adam to make friends. As we walked, we saw many "for sale" signs in front of houses. We kept saying, maybe that will be Barb and Jason's house...maybe Terrance and Mishonette will live there...won't it be cool to live so close to our friends!

After walking, we went to Peabody park. It has a great playground with bucket-seat swings that Adam can swing in. While he was swinging, he was eyeing the little girl who was swinging next to him. She just turned one. We chatted some with her parents. I overheard her mom and dad talking about how one of the public schools, Downtown Elementary, was just given a prestigious award of some kind. Then the mom said, "not like I would consider sending my kids to public school." I'm still waiting to form my opinion on the schools, but I thought the comment was interesting, and it echoes what many people have said to us.

It looks like we will be closing on our house on April 12, my 28th birthday! I'm finally allowing myself to get excited about this. We've been somewhat holding our breaths about the house from the moment we made an offer on it. But, so far, all is going well. I feel like we've gotten a really good deal. We bought a dresser for $20 today at one of the yard sales. I'm hoping to sand it, paint it black, distress it, replace the knobs, and then use it as a buffet in the dining room, or as an entertainment center in the family room. I also spent some time today editing some pictures that I'm hoping to frame and make a cool collage for the new house. It seems that everything is going to be painted either black or silver and all my photos will be black and white. I can't wait to see how it all fits together in the new place.

1 comment:

Jason Elder said...

Ah, yard sales.

Can't wait to walk all around.

I'm really excited about being in a neighborhood with people our age. Everybody is much older than us around here.

I don't know much about the public schools. Barb and I talked about it the other night, and then we realized that we are at least 5 years from that.

Really happy about you guys moving in soon. I know it will be a relief.

Jason