Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Preschool




My 4 year old, Adam, has started Pre-K this week. It has been a pretty major transition for him (and me). He's been attending a Parents Day Out program twice a week since he was one. But this Pre-K program is 5 days a week from 7:15-2:15. Pretty intense for preschool if you ask me. But, it's a free program through our school district and it's at our neighborhood daycare center just a few blocks from our house. I've known the director for a few years and want to give the program a fair chance.

Adam has had some bad mornings, but when I pick him up from school, he's very happy. I've realized that he's more of a Mama's Boy than I realized. The evening of Day 1, we were getting ready for bed and he said, "Mom. You're kinda like my best friend." Then he gave me a big hug. Well, I thought that was about the sweetest thing he's ever said to me.

On Day 2, we all overslept and Robert was already gone for an early meeting. So, we were rushed to get ready for school. Adam cried the entire time. It was tough to be nursing the baby, while at the same time talk him down from his fit, get him dressed for school and make him eat breakfast. All in about 15 minutes! If there were ever a time I looked like supermom, it was then. I think being rushed set him into a very emotional mood. When I picked him up after school, another mom told me that during story time, Adam just blurted out "I just really love my mom!"

Day 3, he cried again when it was time for school. This time Robert took him. Adam came running back to the door to say goodbye to me again. Later on, he told me that I had forgotten to sing "O Happy Day" which is a song I sang to him the morning before to get him to calm down. I forgot that I had told him "O Happy Day" was our morning song, while "God is so good" is our bedtime song. When I picked him up, he was happy and knew a few names of new friends. Later in the day while we were playing, he said, "Mom, I love you more than Jack-dog." I replied, "Adam, I love you more than Jack-dog."

No comments: